Monday, October 16, 2006

Big News!

Well, it’s been quite a journey so far, but this is only the beginning. For me it started years ago, but let me tell you what it is before I tell you how we got here. Kevin and I have begun the process to adopt a little girl from China. To some of you this is a HUGE surprise, to others you wonder what took us so long, and others of you have already heard the news!

Early in 2005 I started feeling like God was calling us to adopt internationally. Kevin and I had talked about it briefly before this, but never really with the intention of moving forward. I was convinced that international adoption was in our future, I just didn’t know when. That’s when the prayers started. One prayer was for Kevin and I to feel the same way. I felt like we should move forward, if God was calling us to do something we needed to have faith that He would carry us through it. Kevin was not there with me, he felt like it was in our future but wanted to be a provider for our family, at that time God hadn’t led him to a job that could do that. Our second prayer was that God’s plan would be clear; although it felt very clear to me Kevin wasn’t so sure. We just prayed. Of course I had to do ALL the research possible. I got free info, looked online, spoke to people who had adopted from other countries, went to a seminar; you name it, I did it. I then told Kevin that when he was ready he just had to say ok. Then I waited. I wish I could say I waited patiently.

Thank goodness for Kevin’s discernment because I did not know that God would be calling me back to Rockwall High School where my long hours are not child friendly. Then God did what only He can do, he provided Kevin with a job that he loved, and a pay raise! AMEN. So, in my impatience I started the questions again “Does this mean we can adopt? Are you ready now?” Kevin in his quiet, calm way would always make it clear that he wasn’t ready. Then I started working at RHS. Knowing that God had called me back it felt like He was telling me to have a career and not a child, due to the hours I am required to work. In His timing, He was about to make everything work out perfectly.

I am a planner (as if you didn’t know that) and my sweet husband is not. I wanted to be able to say “In June of 2007 we can start the process.” He could never do that, it’s just not his style. So I tried to hold my tongue and not press the issue. We still both agreed that this was in our future; I just wanted to know when. Then in August we were at a baseball game with our friends and their son (having tons of fun) and I looked at Kevin and said “Aren’t you ready for one of those?” He said with a grin “Maybe.” Now, some of you may be thinking “Allison, he said maybe…so what.” Those of you who know Kevin know that getting him to answer a definitive yes is not always easy…so I knew I had to run with this. The next day I was a little nervous but I said “So, should we go to the orientation meeting?” He said “Sure.” Now that was an answer! Once we did go to the meeting there was no doubt that this was something we both wanted to do.

So, here we are. We started the process with Hope International in September. From the time you start to the day you adopt your child is 18-24 months. Currently, we are going through the home study process; a social worker comes into our home and decides if we are fit to be parents. We know that our daughter will be from 10-13 months old when we adopt her. We will be matched with her about 6-8 weeks before the adoption. At that time we will be sent a photo (which we will share as quickly as possible) and her medical history. After a doctor, who is familiar with international adoptions, looks over her report we will have the opportunity to accept or reject the referral. If we accept we will travel to China to get her, and we will be there for 2 weeks before we bring her home.

We are pretty excited and nervous, just like all first time parents. Although our method maybe different than some, the outcome is still the same. While we are going through this process we have a few specific prayer requests and ask you to lift us up as often as possible.
1. That the orphanage will provide excellent care until we are able to adopt her.
2. That we are patient with each other and with the mounds of paperwork.
3. That we are prepared to be parents.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kevin and Allison, as a parent who has been through the adoptive process, I can tell you that there is nothing like adoption. You will be frustrated, impatient and frazzled as you wait to hold your sweet baby in your arms and bring her home. Our prayer for you will be to continue to wait for God to open doors. Pray daily for your sweet baby's protection. I know that because we prayed daily for Tori, before we even knew her, God kept her in His hand and protected her before she was born. Our Tori was expected, she was selected!
Love you both!

Christa said...

This is so exciting! I know you still have a long road in front of you, and we will be praying for you. You two will be such wonderful parents. I am proud of you for seeking God's will and His timing.

Megan (aka Emme) said...

Sister, I already knew this, of course, but it still has me all teary! You are going to be the BEST mom in Texas--I have no doubt about that! And Kevin is going to be the best dad! And who knows...maybe by then I'll be the best Auntie Meedo in Texas!

I love you so much!

Jamie said...

What amazing news! Randy and I will be praying for you (and your future daughter) through this process. Just this week I read a wonderful article in Parents magazine (Oct issue) about 13 families that adopted girls from China all at the same time! I am so happy for both of you!

Anonymous said...

We are so happy and excited for the two of you. Your love for children is so evident. You are going to be wonderful parents. Our love and prayers will be with you on this journey.
God is just blessing our family with little girls! Can't wait to hold her!

Anonymous said...

While this will not stop me from praying for you just know that you already ARE prepared to be parents. God has been equipping you and he will continue to do so. Never stop leaning on Him...just as you have been throughout this whole journey.

Anonymous said...

very exiciting and many prayers of support!!!!

Anonymous said...

I have goose bumps all over. I am beside myself with excitement for you guys! I cannot wait to meet this bundle of joy - she will bless your lives immensely! YEA, YEA, YEA!!!!

Love you - Rebecca and Greg!!!

Anonymous said...

Allison and Kevin,
Ok the first words that come to mind is wow! I'm so excited for you I'm sitting here at school in tears. This is the right time, and God wouldn't have it any other way. Geez I'm so happy, My continued prayers to you both. I realize it can be a trying time but just keep your mind on the end. You will have a beautiful baby in your arms.

I still remember how to say monkey in Chinese! =)

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!! This is very cool news. Can't wait to see the pictures.