Thursday, October 18, 2012

Happy Birthday Lyla!

It's finally here!  The first time we get to celebrate Lyla's birthday, I feel like I have been waiting YEARS for this day...and I suppose, in a way I have.

1 year ago I posted about wondering what celebrating a truly unknown birthday would be like.  If you need to refresh your memory, (I know I did) here you go.  I wasn't sure what to think or feel, and I am happy to say that this year, October 18th is more exciting than I ever could have imagined.

It sure was nice for Lyla to experience what a birthday was before her actual day.  Macey's birthday was a good test run, so looking forward to her own birthday was easy.

I cannot tell you how many times Lyla has said to me, "Mom, I'm just so excited about my birthday." with a beaming smile on her face.  The moment it was October she could hardly contain her excitement, every day she wanted to know if it was the 18th and every day we would count the number of sleeps until her day.  I just kept hoping the anticipation would not be more exciting than the actual day.

Then there was one day last week.  Just she and I were in the car and she said, "Mom, I'm just so excited about my birthday." I said, "I know, me too."  Then she said (in her still-learning-English way), "I never not had a birthday."  With tears rolling down my cheeks I said, "Then I hope this one is extra special."  Of course, we all know she has had a birthday, but as far as she can remember not a birthday like she has learned about since coming home.  Not a day where everyone and everything is about you!

So, all my fears about not knowing her true date of birth have completely faded.  I don't care if she was born on June 22nd, because October 18th is when we will celebrate our big girl.  It is the day that she will add one year to her age, it is the day people will sing happy birthday to her and it is the day that balloons will be flying because of her!

I've said it many time, this little girl has and will continue to teach me more than I will ever teach her.


Happy Birthday Lyla!
We love you more than you will ever know, and we are SO EXCITED to celebrate your 7th birthday today!

4 comments:

Sandra said...

Happy birthday to your sweet girl! I am anxiously awaiting January 30!! Lyla is beautiful! I can't believe how far she's come in the last 6 1/2 months!!!

Connie said...

Lyla,
As I look at your picture, I am amazed at how much you have grown and learned in the past 6 months.

May you always know how much you are loved and valued.

Your Grandma Connie

Connie said...

Lyla,
As I look at your picture, I am amazed at how much you have grown and learned in the past 6 months.

May you always know how much you are loved and valued.

Your Grandma Connie

Jamie said...

Happy Birthday Lyla!!! Hope you have a fantastic week celebrating all the wonderful things God has given to you and your family this year! What a blessing you are! And I pray many more blessings over you this coming year! Love from California, All the Macks!